Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Running Competition

A couple of months back, a good friend of mine and I decided to have a 1.5 mile race scheduled for May 2007. There has been quite a lot of smack talk between the two of us as to who is going to win. According to my friend, he always wins and has always won since he was young. Well, my plan is to prove him wrong this time. So today, I really am starting to train to build up my speed and CRUSH him next year! lol... So in order to increase my speed, I ran a mile today at 5.0 mph at a 2% incline on the treadmill. Tomorrow, I plan to run 1.5 miles flat, and I will continue to alternate like this while increasing my speed. This way I can build up my strength and endurance in running.

So far, the fastest mile I have run was 9 minutes and 54 seconds. That was running 3 1/4 laps at 6.0 mph, 1/4 at 6.5 mph, 1/4 at 7 mph, and then the last 1/4 at 6.5 mph. Let me tell you that I was dieing on that last lap! Now, I just have to work on my running. I've got 8 months to get to the speed that I want to be at, and by then, I will be at least 50 pounds lighter than I am right now so that will definately help. After this competition, I am going to start looking into running a 5k or 10k run. I will keep you posted on everything that happens from now until then!

2 comments:

Mr. H. said...

Reminds me of the Hare and Tortoise..."The Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on
with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course." May you train like a tortoise... purposely and steady, and may you surprise your "hare" friend!

Lightning_ said...

That's why they call me "T" for Turtle lol!